Corrupt Office Upload Center

I have been using Microsoft Office 2013 for sometime without any issues synchronizing documents between SharePoint and OneDrive, until recently. For whatever reason, I began receiving the message below indicating an issue with the Office Upload Center.

Capture1

Although this is the first time I have received this error on one of my systems, I have fixed this in the past for others. The fix in my case is a bit different then the process I’ve used in the past, although quite simple. So instead of re-inventing the wheel, check out this post by Hans Brender, which will most likely fix your corrupt cache.

It’s also important to note what the Office Upload Center is used for. When you open a document from a web server, such as SharePoint, the Upload Center stores a copy in the cache. This way, you can quickly access the document when opening it again from the same site. When changes are made to the document on the local computer, only those changes are pushed back up to the server hosting the document. This makes for a much more efficient use of bandwidth.

I store pretty much all of my documents in OneDrive and keep them offline as well. When working with documents, I open them from the local OneDrive folder, edit and save. Or I create new documents in the local OneDrive folders. OneDrive handles the sync back to the server, not the Upload Center. If I go to OneDrive online and open a document, I can also open that document in Word or Excel, depending on the document type. When I save changes, the Office Upload Center handles the sync back to the server. Again, this is because the document is opened with a Microsoft Office applications from a web server. The documents in the cache, not the local OneDrive folder.

So what was my fix? I was running a copy of Office 2013 Pro using software form work. This was the standard Windows Installer package (MSI). I ended up purchasing a copy of Office 365 Home. I uninstalled the existing Office 2013 install and installed using the setup form the Office 365 portal, which is the click-2-run install. The install completed successfully, or at least I thought it did. That was when the corruption started. After going through the steps outlined by Hans Brender, and not correcting the issue, I remembered I had standalone installs of Microsoft Project and Visio. Removing both of them and Office 2013, rebooting. Then installing Office 2013, along with Visio and Project again, no more corruption.

Advertisements
  1. Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: